Saturday, May 2, 2009

Welcome

Here we go, the long-awaited blog! Many of you who know me in real life know I'm fascinated by just about everything and have had a very eclectic background. Here is a place for me to muse as I stroll along my journey.

Why "voice of the soul"? I began life as a music child-prodigy, I could sing anything I heard and sing from my soul with an amazing voice in a small child's body, I was performing professionally by the age of 10. Music is the most profound thing in my life. I watched how people responded to my singing, I stopped time and changed their lives, and that is a lot of power for a child to have. I performed and worked with a lot of adults back then, musicians can be any age, we were equals. However, this does not make the best transition into the real world, and I suffered through bad voice teachers and people who were not out for my best benefit. I was a has-been by the age of 20 and had some gruesome years.

Suddenly, the world opened to me - there was more out there than music, so I launched into a lost youth and explored, I had many adventures and lots of identities. I found yoga along the way which became the next most-important place in my life. In the serious study of yoga, one reads a lot. I discovered the great sufi mystic and musician, Hazrat Inayat Khan (1882-1927) and his words floor me, just blow me away. Even more than 80 years after his death, his writings ring true.

So we arrive to my blog name.

From the chapter entitled The Voice of Thought, vibratory power:

"In preparing anything one not only puts one's magnetism into it, but the voice of one's soul is produced in the thing one prepares."

-Hazrat Inayat Khan, The Music of Life, The Inner Nature and Effects of Sound


Welcome.

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for that brief but very interesting introduction. I'm more interested than ever to have a further conversation. If you don't mind, I'll also forward that quote to a couple of my collaborators. Best wishes on the blog. Scott Sedar

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would love to hear you sing some day lady!

    ReplyDelete